Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Forgotten Gift

Driving back from Houston, I started revisiting Christmases from when Chad and Shane were little boys. One memory popped into my head that made me chuckle. This particular Christmas, the boys were into Batman and Robin. I had been out shopping and bought them some figurines for stocking stuffers. When I got home, I hid them up on the shelf in the closet, where I forgot about them. A few months later I pulled something off of the shelf and the figurines fell at my feet. By this time the boys had moved onto something else and did not have much use for Batman and Robin. I am sure that I am not the only person to forget a Christmas gift and won’t be the last.

The tradition of exchanging gifts stems from the Three Wise Men bringing their gifts to Jesus. We see the scene every year played out in Christmas pageants and nativity scenes. In honor of this tradition, we get up early on Christmas morning and watch the paper fly. A lot of the gifts we receive are put on the shelf and forgotten about. I am not sure whatever became of the gold, frankincense, and myrrh but I am sure Mary and Joseph did not set them aside and forget them.

Think about it like this, of all of the Christmas gifts that you have given, how many do you remember? Or, of all of the gifts that you have received, how many do you remember? If you are like me, the gifts you remember are the ones that cost the most. I don’t mean from a financial perspective but the gifts that people put some thought and effort into. Yet, when we look at the manger, we tend to forget the most important and costly gift that was there. In all of the rushing, planning, and parties that have become Christmas we have put it up on the shelf and forgotten it. The gift that I am referring to is the one that the babe in the manger brought. That babe in the manger brought with Him salvation for all mankind. A gift for all of us that all we have to do is accept. At this time of the year we do not want to mar the clean pristine images of Christmas with the ugly images of a beaten and battered Jesus hanging on a cross. When you see the babe in the manger this year, think about what He came to do and what it cost Him.

This Christmas, if you have already accepted this gift, then give Jesus some extra praise. If you are someone who has accepted this gift but has put it up on the shelf, why not make this the Christmas to take it down, dust it off and embrace it once again? If you have not accepted the gift of salvation, why not make this the Christmas to accept this very special gift that will last for eternity?

2 comments:

  1. Chris, what an amazing reminder of just how special each of us is that we have been given such an amazing gift. And it's a gift that we will continue to cherish all of our lives. You are a personal reminder that we are so special, God brought you into our lives to brighten our world. Keep smiling every day, and rejoice in your Faith as I will in mine, that God will see that you win this battle and spread His word for many, many years to come. --Barrick

    Merry Christmas!
    Barrick

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that Christ was born to provide our Salvation... but I'd never thought about it as His gift at Christmastime. Thanks for the reminder. I apologize for not usually commenting on your blog. I figure since you don't know me, it wouldn't matter. But I appreciate your insight. I thought a lot about "My Psalm" and was using your technique the next few mornings during my quiet time... making the psalm I read "my" psalm. So thankful you were able to attend your son's graduation. Merry Christmas. Love & prayers, Amy Smith (friend of Janet Johnson)

    ReplyDelete