Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Like Gold in a Pig's Nose

For part of my Christmas, the boys dressed up my bike. They took my bike and put a set of Chad's Zipp racing wheels on it and thereby tripled the value of my bike. I have to admit that it looks pretty cool. I wish I could make it go as fast as it looks like it should go.


I had to take the photo because I know that the wheels will not stay on it. The bottom line is that putting these wheels on this bike is an insult to the wheels. This is the twenty-first century equivalent of putting a gold ring in a pig's nose. Anyone who knows anything about bicycles could tell you that these wheels do not belong on this bike. The combination of the wheels and bike are all show and no go.

After seeing my bike like this, I began to wonder what other parts of my life are being dressed up by things that don't belong there. I have long since given up making New Year's resolutions, but this year I have begun praying that God would show me the gold rings in this old pig's nose. It is time for them to go.

1 comment:

  1. Chris, I vote you ride the dang wheels. Leave your speedometer at home and feel fast. Speed is all relative.

    Chad and Shane, I vote you race your dad's training wheels!

    Maybe we're the pig and God's love and this earth is the gold ring. One might not begrudge the pig's gold ring if the pig really appreciated it.

    ReplyDelete