Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Sycamore Tree

I had planned on only writing once or twice a week.  But as the old saying goes; if you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.  I think God has had just a few laughs during my life.  The last couple of days have not been a lot of fun.  I came down with bronchitis over the weekend and have been coughing and not sleeping at night.  Both nights a particular event that occurred just before my symptoms began to appear has been playing over and over in my mind.  I am finding that whenever I feel that there is something I need to share, I should share.  So, here it goes and yes it will be preachy.

Do you ever have songs just pop into your mind from nowhere?  We laugh about it around the house when it happens.  DeLayne seems to have old classic hymns pop into her mind and I have old Vacation Bible School kid songs pop into mine.  That should probably tell you something about how different mine and DeLayne's music capabilities are.

One morning as I was backing out of the driveway,  the kid song about Zacchaeus popped into my head.  The story of Zacchaeus is detailed in Luke chapter 19.  Some of you may have learned this song and might be humming along now.  It has probably been forty years since I sang that song but there were those lyrics just like it was yesterday. 

Why was this song suddenly stuck in my mind?  I could have just passed it off but it kept happening day after day for several days.  Then one morning I heard the radio announcer say "Remember, today you may be the only Jesus someone sees."  Just like that, the puzzle pieces fell into place and lead me to ask a rather haunting question.  If my life were a sycamore tree, would someone crossing my path be able to climb it and see Jesus?  Sadly, the answer to that question is no.  There have been times in my life that if people were the climb that tree, they would not catch a glimpse of Jesus.  Thankfully and praise God, I am forgiven!

Since that morning, I have had a new morning prayer.  Each morning I ask God to grant me the grace that whomever may cross my path that day would see Jesus in my words, actions and deeds.  I had been finding it easier to be courteous and forgiving to people as I go through the day.  And thus I thought I had found the deep meaning in this song.

Then came the diagnoses of cancer and now there is a new branch in my sycamore tree.  I realize now that there will be multiple people coming into my life on a daily basis; doctors, nurses, lab techs, other cancer patients.  So, now I have another prayer.  That God heal me and that people be able to see Jesus in me during the process.

That's all I have for now.  So, go out and be someone's sycamore tree.

Thanks once again for all of the prayers, encouragement, e-mails and calls of support.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to break your Rule #2 of your blog because I beg to differ with you. If someone crosses your path, they will definitely see Jesus in you. You are one of the most Godly men I know. You are in God's Word every morning before you go to work, you don't drink, don't smoke, don't cuss, don't use illegal drugs, you are a good provider for your family and are financially responsible, you are a loyal employee (25 years at the same company!), you are kind to others, and you treat all women with the utmost respect.

    I couldn't have asked for a better father for our boys (and dogs) or for a better husband. I remember when we went to pre-marital counseling 26 years ago, and Rev. Jim Cord told us we should say these words to each other every day: "I love you and I thank God for you." Although I may have not spoken these words every day, it is very true. You are truly God's gift to this woman.

    A song came to me this morning out of the blue as I was jogging and praying for you, and it actually wasn't a classic hymn this time! It's a song by one of your favorite Christian groups from years past. (See the lyrics below.) It makes me think of you and how you are such a good example for our boys. I pray that they grow up to be just like you.

    I love you, and I thank God for you.
    DeLayne

    I Want To Be Just Like You - by Phillips, Craig & Dean

    He climbs in my lap for a goodnight hug
    He calls me Dad and I call him Bub
    With his faded old pillow and a bear named Pooh
    He snuggles up close and says, "I want to be like you"
    I tuck him in bed and I kiss him goodnight
    Trippin' over the toys as I turn out the light
    And I whisper a prayer that someday he'll see
    He's got a father in God 'cause he's seen Jesus in me

    Lord, I want to be just like You
    'Cause he wants to be just like me
    I want to be a holy example
    For his innocent eyes to see
    Help me be a living Bible, Lord
    That my little boy can read
    I want to be just like You
    'Cause he wants to be like me

    Got to admit I've got so far to go
    Make so many mistakes and I'm sure that You know
    Sometimes it seems no matter how hard I try
    With all the pressures in life I just can't get it all right
    But I'm trying so hard to learn from the best
    Being patient and kind, filled with Your tenderness
    'Cause I know that he'll learn from the things that he sees
    And the Jesus he finds will be the Jesus in me
    Right now from where he stands I may seem mighty tall
    But it's only 'cause I'm learning from the best Father of them all

    Lord, I want to be just like You
    'Cause he wants to be just like me
    I want to be a holy example
    For his innocent eyes to see
    Help me be a living Bible, Lord
    That my little boy can read
    I want to be just like You
    'Cause he wants to be like me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey. You don't know me... I guess I don't really know you. I'm friends with Janet Johnson and she asked me to pray for you. And I am. And I just wanted you to know that.
    Amy Smith
    Pryor, OK

    ReplyDelete