Saturday, August 7, 2010

Wingmen

The term "Wingman" was first used in World War I.  The air corps realized that more of their pilots returned when two or more planes flew together.  Your wingman was the pilot who flew just off your wing tip to help cover you from attacks.

One night when I could not sleep I began reviewing the last few years in my mind and some of the bike rides I have been on.  Maybe it is that I am now fifty years old or that I have cancer but I began to realize that the rides I remember most are the ones that I have been on with Chad and Shane.  We have had a lot of fun and probably more than our share of laughs but I always feel a bit younger and a bit spunkier when I ride with them.  We each get our share of barbs in and try to watch out for road hazards.  Usually, by the time I reach a hazard, I've had two warnings.


This is one of my favorite photos of Chad and Shane racing.  I have it hanging on my office wall at work.  This is a rare shot in that both boys are in the frame.  They are sprinting for the finish in a college race.  Chad is on the left and Shane is on the right.  I had watched the two of them shred a college race that day with their relentless attacks.  I am glad that when we ride together, they take it easy on me.

Sorry, I digressed there.  Back to bike riding.  As I was saying, we have had a lot of fun and they usually offer me encouragement like this:

"Hurry up old man"
"Try and keep up at least until we are out of the neighborhood."
"You want me to push you up this hill."

But here are some of my favorite bike riding stories.


We had gotten up early one morning and decided to take a ride out to Lake Lavon.  The ride is about 35 miles roundtrip and on two lane country roads.  This morning Chad had decided to ride his fixie.  If you do not know, a fixie is a fixed gear bike that does not coast and has no brakes.  We were headed down hill on one of the back roads and Chad was in the lead about twenty yards in front.  I was in my usual position, the rear.  Suddenly out of the left ditch pops a skunk and starts running across the road.  I hit the brakes and start yelling at Chad to watch the skunk.  He finally sees it about five feet from him and locks up his legs putting his bike in to a skid.  Since we escaped unscathed, that was funny and the three of us had a good laugh.

When I had first gotten my road bike and was learning to ride with my feet clipped to the pedals, we went for a quick ride.  The wind was really blowing that day out of the south and it took all I had to stay upright.  As we were approaching an intersection, our light turned red.  I was leaning hard into a cross wind, trying to stop and get unclipped all at the same time.  Obviously, it was to much for my mind to handle.  I stopped just in time for the wind to quit blowing and caught me leaning with my feet still attached to the pedal.  In my mind, I think I looked like Artie Johnson on his tricycle on the old Laugh In show.  After picking my self up and dusting off the following conversation ensued.

Chad:  Are you OK?
Me: Yes, I think so.
Chad:  Are you sure?
Me:  Except for my pride, I'm fine.
Chad:  Good.  That means I can laugh and that was the funniest thing I've ever seen.

One Sunday after church, Chad and I took off for a ride up to the north part of McKinney.  We had reached highway 75 and were crossing over to the north bound frontage road.  Chad suggested that we turn left and head north on the frontage road.  I followed his left turn and we headed down hill.  This section of frontage road goes down hill and then does a u-turn under 75 and then heads uphill on the south bound side.  I realized too late where we were and that I would have to climb back up the other side.  I hate climbing.

Me:  Hey, if we go down this side, don't we have to go up the other side?
Chad: Yes.
Me:  You jerk!
Chad:  Laughing, rides away.

After work whenever possible I like to take a quick ten to fifteen mile ride to relax.  This particular evening both boys decided to accompany me.  As usual in Texas during the summer, the wind was blowing hard out of the south.  We made a turn and the wind hit us in the face.  We had not ridden very far when I realized that neither of the boys were at my side.  I took a quick look over my shoulder and there they were riding single file behind me. 

Me: Hey, what are you guys doing?
Them: Drafting.
Me: Why?
Them: You make a good wind break.
Me: Jerks.
Them: Laughing.

Well, there you have it.  A few of my favorite memories.  When I ride with the boys, I am never quite sure where we will go or how we will get there but I know it will be fun and that I will cherish the time.   I am blessed and proud to call them my sons.  I don't know what the next months or years hold for me but I know that my wingmen will be there to lift my spirits.

Love you guys.

Thanks again for all of the prayers.  They are helping.
 

1 comment:

  1. Chris,
    I love the stories with your boys. It reminds me of similar stories but of golf with my Dad. I always said that my Father's wisdom was delivered to me hole by hole. Drew is a Freshman and we are beginning to find our way from Little Boy to Father to Little MAN to Father. I look forward to adding memories from my boy as you have with your boys.

    Heard a great sermon Sunday at Prestonwood North, Mike Fechner President of H.I.S BridgeBuilders gave his "life message". He is battling Stage 4 Lung Cancer and winning (Glory to God). His positive upbeat message was one of thankful for every day and reminding all the doctors not to worry because he is "eternal". His message was so uplifting.

    I hope you know that Andrea and I have been praying for you, DeLayne, and the boys and will continue. I look forward to your healing and the glory God will be given. Enjoy those rides and your wingmen - your a lucky man!

    Curry Vogelsang

    ReplyDelete